Sunday, November 17, 2013

Where Is God in the Storms of Life?

Today, my pastor taught about Job and the great trials that bombarded him during his great trials. In the first few chapters of the book, Job loses his monetary possessions, numerous servants, and his seven sons and three daughters. In rapid succession, he received horrendous reports from the last surviving servant from each area telling him of the loss of his oxen, donkeys, sheep, camels, and dearly beloved children. In the twinkling of an eye, he was transformed from the wealthiest man in the East (Job 1:3) to a bereaved man stripped of his earthly possessions.
What struck me was his response to such grief and heartache. Instead of blaming God, he worships God in his grief.
“Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head and fell on the ground and worshiped. And he said, ‘Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.’ In all this Job did not sin or charge God with wrong.” (Job 1:20-22)
These few verse challenged me today to consider, “How will I respond the next time I am faced with a trial, testing, or grief?” Will I praise God in my grief and in my trial or will I question the good and perfect character of the Lord? My desire is that I will have Job’s response. That I will not charge God with wrong but instead praise God in the storms of life because He is there in the midst of them (Mark 6:48).
Here is God’s promise to you:
’. . .Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. . .’” (Isaiah 43:1-3)

No comments:

Post a Comment